16 June 2012

Learning a new language

... nope, not Spanish. Not even Irish, though the Rosetta Stone that the Wife lovingly purchased for me last year for Christmas would surely love to be dusted off and used.

Python

I'm a big ol' geek. I'm learning a new coding language (mostly for work projects, but at least 33% for fun). I've been going through the exercises at Learn Python The Hard Way, and so far, it's like C and QBASIC had a baby raised by COBOL.

My goal is to add Python to my list of coding/scripting languages in which I am barely literate within a few months. The current list stands at (in rough order of learning):

  • DOS
  • QBASIC
  • Windows Command Shell
  • C/C++
  • HTML1
  • T-SQL
  • Windows PowerShell
  • AutoHotKey
  • *sh (currently cygwin/bash, with a side of ksh - which is funny if you're familiar with ksh)

My favorite part of the classes so far? The exercise that has this as extra credit:
Find out what Zork and Adventure were. Try to find a copy and play it. 
And now, back to the books. I have code that I broke that needs un-breaking!

1 - I know, it's not technically a programming or scripting language, but it is a digital language that's come in handy on regular occasions, so I'm leaving it on the list. Programming purists, forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment